Monday, November 19, 2012

Poetry at Emfundweni

On November 15, 2012 I taught a poetry lesson to a class of fourth grade students.  I chose to teach poetry because my partnership teacher told me the students had not been exposed to poetry all year.  I began the lesson with the question "What is poetry?"  None of the students attempted to answer my question.  I shared the definition of poetry with the students.  After learning that the students were not familiar with poetry, I decided to begin with Haiku poetry.  I informed students of the characteristics of an Haiku poem.  Students were quick to participate in using their fingers to show "5,7,5".  I shared a Haiku poem that I wrote about an afternoon at Summerstrand in Port Elizabeth.  Sharing poems that the students can relate to helped them maintain their focus. 

I decided to end my lesson with reading a book of silly poems.  I was able to integrate rhythm in my reading.  The students quickly pitched in by clapping their hands and beating their desk.  I was pleased to see the students improvising; using their desks as drums.  I was moved to see the look of enjoyment on all of the students' faces. 

I have found that music and dance are the best tools to use in keeping students engaged at Emfundweni.  The students learn best when they have an active role in the lesson. 

No comments:

Post a Comment